Sunday, March 6, 2011


Okay. So this is my current and favorite concealer, so far: MAC's Studio Finish SFP 35 Concealer. Again, this is an edited re-post; here's the original I posted a few weeks ago: MAC Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer: A Review ... :)


(A cropped picture from MAC's website)


So as I was practically itching to get myself my own (and new) concealer, of course, I Googled, read blogs, reviews, went to various sites - name it, I did it. I made a mental list of the most-reoccurring names - and the one that was on the top on MY list was MAC's Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer. Yes, partiality to MAC noted. Actually, it's because before I even tried any of their products, I have been reading great reviews - and when I finally did use MAC, they delivered wonderfully.

Anyway, when a new MAC counter opened at a mall very near our house, I was beyond myself. I went to try the Studio Finish (as well as the Studio Sculpt - I'll elaborate later, not qualified to make it's review, yet), and got my shade.

I have a warm/yellow undertone, which makes me an NC30 - my initial guess was NC20. Although NW25 works well for my dark circles as the pink undertone cancels out my blue bags.

The Studio Finish has a fairly creamy consistency - again, I live in a tropical country, so the consistency might change a bit in much colder locations.

Blendability is excellent. I've been a raw artist ever since I was a kid, so I'm not new to blending, but I think it's safe to say that this concealer won't give problems to beginners.

Coverage - like what it says in the website:
"A lightweight, creamy, discreetly opaque concealer. Provides a smooth, long-wearing invisible coverage for all skin blemishes... This emollient-based, lightweight concealer is so concentrated that a tiny amount can provide opaque coverage of the skin's imperfections and discolourations. It effectively covers dark circles, blemishes, moles, tattoos and birthmarks... "
It covers all my blemishes, not-so-gone pimple scars, dark circles, dark lipline, and the occasional red blotches I have no idea how I get. Although I do need at most three layers to completely hide my very dark lipline (and maybe in a darker shade like NC35) - on darkish blemishes, two is more than enough.

(*Random note: The Studio Sculpt did a much better job in covering my lipline - it's opacity, I think, is better and stronger. However it was quite difficult to blend. Beyond that I can't pinpoint other qualities of the Studio Fix.)

Staying power. Let's just say that I set this with my cheap, but fine loose powder at 1pm today. Thirteen hours later at 2am - after commute, and malling and all... It just looks better. Hah! No, seriously. The concealer actually looks like it's not there. My face would look flawless - and I know it isn't because when I wash it off, my blemishes reappear. How long it lasts on a hot, sweaty me in a summer afternoon, however, I am yet to know.

I mentioned my concealer routine with my old concealer was "concealer-highlighter-loose foundation-loose powder". That routine takes me about twenty to a whooping thirty minutes. Pitiful, I know. With Studio Finish, I take only five to ten minutes... Seriously. The time I needed to put on make up was decreased by more than half - which greatly favored my always late arse.

The con of this concealer is that it creases like crazy if you don't set it within about three minutes after applying it. When it creases, you'd have to spread it out again with your brush - your fingers will do fine, but I find a brush does the work better. However if you set it before it does crease - then viola! Flawless perfection. However, to note, after a month of using it, I noticed it does crease a bit badly under my eyes, because of the under-eye lines. Sad, because it's practically the only flaw in this concealer.

And oh, I have never seen any yellow-beige smears on any of my clothes or hankies, so I'd say it doesn't smear or... how do you put that... latch onto clothes..?

Just to note, however, all of these things are under the condition that: I had a spot-on shade match, ridiculously oily skin, and about 24~27 degrees Celsius of environmental temperature. Results would vary in a drier skin type and ice-cold climate.

...

To sum it up:
Pros:   Consistency: creamy, smooth
            Blendability: excellent
            Coverage: full; medium to heavy
            Staying power: up to 12 hours, does not rub off on clothes

Con:   Creases if not set within 3 minutes of application


Will I buy it again? Hell, yeah. :)
Will I recommend it? Yes. The creasing can be remedied, but I'd recommend something else for those who have lots of fine lines, though.

...

And that about sums up my review. Yes, I absolutely love MAC, so I try very hard not to be biased. I've also tried their other concealers, but I really prefer this one. I'm going to review the Select MoistureCover soon - stepmomma has one. Anyway, what do you guys think of the Studio Finish SPF 35 concealer? :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 Spines and Bristles.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.